Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route inside Site-to-site VPN tunnel

We want to route default traffic inside site-to-site VPN tunnel, our goal is to route all traffic including default route from branch to HO and HO will help branch for internet surfing.

i have following difficulties

1. cannot configure Dynamic NAT for branch router on the HO ASA, i know configuration for 8.2 but don't know about 8.4

following is the configuration for 8.2, if someone can translate for 8.4 that would be great help

nat (outside) 1 192.168.230.0

2. I don't know how to write default route on Branch router to send all traffic inside VPN tunnel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If I understood you correctly then you want to forward ALL the traffic from the Remote Site to the Central Site and handle the Internet traffic there.

I guess you could define the "interesting traffic" in the L2L VPN configuration ACL / access-list in the following fashion

Branch Router

ip access-list extended

permit ip any

Central ASA

access-list permit ip any

The idea behind the above type of ACLs configurations for the L2L VPN is that for example the Branch Router has a rule that defines that connection coming from the local LAN to "any" destination address should be forwarded to the L2L VPN connection. Therefore it would act in a way the all traffic would be forwarded to the Central Site through the L2L VPN.

I have to say though that the Router side VPN configurations arent most familiar to me as I handle mostly with ASA firewalls (and to some degree still PIX and FWSMs)

I guess on the Central ASA you will be doing PAT translation towards "outside" so that the host can access Internet?

You would probably be doing something like this

object-group network REMOTE-SITE-PAT-SOURCE

network-object

nat (outside,outside) after-auto source dynamic REMOTE-SITE-PAT-SOURCE interface

If you dont want to use the "outside" interface IP address then you will have to create an "object network " for the PAT IP address and use it in the above NAT configuration line instead of the "interface"

Alternative configuration could be

object network REMOTE-SITE-PAT

subnet

nat (outside,outside) dynamic interface

You will also have to enable

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

To allow the traffic to enter and leave the same interface on the ASA

All of the above are naturally suggestion on what you might have to do. I dont know what kind of configurations you have at the moment.

Hope this helps in some way

- Jouni

Message was edited by: Jouni Forss

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If I understood you correctly then you want to forward ALL the traffic from the Remote Site to the Central Site and handle the Internet traffic there.

I guess you could define the "interesting traffic" in the L2L VPN configuration ACL / access-list in the following fashion

Branch Router

ip access-list extended

permit ip any

Central ASA

access-list permit ip any

The idea behind the above type of ACLs configurations for the L2L VPN is that for example the Branch Router has a rule that defines that connection coming from the local LAN to "any" destination address should be forwarded to the L2L VPN connection. Therefore it would act in a way the all traffic would be forwarded to the Central Site through the L2L VPN.

I have to say though that the Router side VPN configurations arent most familiar to me as I handle mostly with ASA firewalls (and to some degree still PIX and FWSMs)

I guess on the Central ASA you will be doing PAT translation towards "outside" so that the host can access Internet?

You would probably be doing something like this

object-group network REMOTE-SITE-PAT-SOURCE

network-object

nat (outside,outside) after-auto source dynamic REMOTE-SITE-PAT-SOURCE interface

If you dont want to use the "outside" interface IP address then you will have to create an "object network " for the PAT IP address and use it in the above NAT configuration line instead of the "interface"

Alternative configuration could be

object network REMOTE-SITE-PAT

subnet

nat (outside,outside) dynamic interface

You will also have to enable

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

To allow the traffic to enter and leave the same interface on the ASA

All of the above are naturally suggestion on what you might have to do. I dont know what kind of configurations you have at the moment.

Hope this helps in some way

- Jouni

Message was edited by: Jouni Forss

Thank you Jouni,

it works perfect

Bhadresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: