Helpful
Replies

dhcp relay in asa through vpn is not working

brinat
Level 1
Level 1

i have asa in ver 9.0.1 at the site and asa ver 8.2.5 at the center 

when configuring dhcprelay through site to site vpn its not working 

i can see at the center asa the broadcast packet and not the ip of the asa outside interface 

i saw that their is a bug in older version but we are not their 

using another fw instead of the asa at the site works fine 

2 Replies 2

JP Miranda Z
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi brinat,

I am not aware of any known issue with this type of configuration, can you share the tunnel configuration and the dhcp relay config as well?

This document explains all the configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/149511

Hope this info helps!!

Rate if helps you!! 

-JP-

Shakti Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the concept behind this to be working is pretty simple , we must understand the role of one of the ASA as DHCP relay agent .

From the ASA acting as a DHCP relay agent you should be able to ping the DHCP server from your inside interface , or the interface behind which the DHCP clients are so for example

ping inside 192.168.1.12 , 192.168.1.12 being DHCP server ip address . You just need to ensure that you have inside ip address and destination DHCP server ip address defined in the crypto access-list .

Once we have done that we are clear on crypto side of things and we then need to configure ASA as a DHCP client and the configuration is simple

dhcprelay server 192.168.1.12 outside
dhcprelay enable inside

By doing that we are setting up ASA to act as a relay agent during DORA process (by the use of command :- dhcprelay enable inside) and also defining our DHCP server on outside (dhcprelay server 192.168.1.12 outside)

To understand more on how DHCP server relay operation refer to the document

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/116265-configure-product-00.html

Hope that helps

Thanks

Shakti