Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN failover issue

dwaynepeeters
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to setup a failover situation with DMVPN, but I have a little problem which I cannot figger out.

My network consists of two sites "Hoofdkantoor 1" (Dutch for HQ1), and "Nevenlocatie" (Dutch for Branchoffice).

There is a Multipoint-GRE tunnel between the spoke router at the branchoffice and the two Hub routers at the HQ. (The red line)

The idea is that when the primary internet connectiong goes down on left goes down, the Spoke router uses the internet connection on the right to reach the HQ.

VRRP is setup so it tracks both the internal interface to the switch as well as the connection to the ISP router.

This works flawlessly: when I pull out the primary internet connection on the left, VRRP switches over to the right router in like a second.

The problem however is that the Spoke router keeps sending it's packets to the router on the left which has become unreachable. It keeps sending it's packets that way until the EIGRP hold time expires and the neighbor relationship has torn down. After about 15 seconds it starts sending it's packets to the right router.

I would like to have the spoke router being able to instantly forward it's packets to the router on the right

But I do not want to use "load-balancing", because we use VoIP on the network.

Also I do not want to put the hello-hold timers to less than 5 seconds, because we don't want to have flapping routes.

Does anybody have a better idea on how to approach this? (I saw something called DMVPN dual cloud?)

Any help would we very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dwayne

te.jpg

Naamloos.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dwayne,

Please check this out:

Small Branch—Dual Hub/Dual DMVPN

HTH.

Portu.

Please rate any helpful posts