Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS issue

ranjithdasvp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Our brach office is connected to Headoffice through IP VPN.The issue is I can ping from BranchOffice PC to the IP address of the Server at HeadOffice,

but unable to ping to the hostname of the PC.

Anyone knows the reason..? Should I enable anything on the Routers at Branch or headoffice.?

Please advice...

Thanks in advance

Ranjith

3 Replies 3

Asim Malik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Are you trying to resolve it with DNS? Where is your DNS  server located with reference to router? If you do ipconfig /all, do you see teh DNS server in teh virtual adapter for Cisco VPN. I assume you are using Cisco VPN client.

If you do ipconfig /displaydns do you see the DNS entry. Does it work when you use FQDN

Hi,

I am not using VPN client,  the DNS of my PC is 10.1.0.10/24 which is placed at head office.

Headoffcie PC can ping to the name of all server, branch office IP range is 10.1.1.x /24.

ip domain-lookup

ip name-server x.x.x.x

commands are added in the Routers.

Please advice if I need to add anymore commands.

Thanks

Hi Ranjith,

Can you do port probe to DNS server from the Branch to see if this able to open the port or not.

Open the Command Prompt.

C:\Documents and Settings\kasiraman>telnet 8.8.8.8 53

First try 8.8.8.8 and see the result and replace the 8.8.8.8 with your local DNS server and update what is the result.

Also specify if this issue is with the particular PC or with all in the branch office. And also let me know how you guys are communicating with HQ, through VPN?

Thanks,

Kasi