cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting my AnyConnect licenses on my FTD 1120

vtxchris
Level 1
Level 1

I have a case open with Cisco regarding this, but the owner is not responding to me, so I thought I'd look for help here.  I have a 25-pack of AnyConnect Plus licenses showing up as a PAK number in the traditional licensing section of the software site.  I think I need these to be converted to smart licenses so that my 1120 can see and activate them. As I said, I can't seem to get the licensing guy to work with me on this - can I do it myself?  There's a blue arrow I can click in the traditional licensing section that gives me the following 4 options:

PAK.png

What happens if I select either of the middle two - "Assign to Smart Account" or "Convert to Smart Licensing"? Are either of those a valid choice to get these in the smart licensing section so I can assign them to the firewall?  Or do I have to wait for the Cisco guy to finally help? Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't typically recommend "Convert to Smart Licensing" since that invalidates the PAK for use with other classic ASAs. Instead ask the licensing team to share the PAKs to your Smart account. That will make the licenses eligible for use by both classic PAK-based devices (classic ASA appliance, IOS routers) as well as newer Smart-licensed devices (FTD, ASAv, ASA on Firepower)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

If you click on convert to smart licensing, it will ask you to which virtual account (if you have more than the DEFAULT one) and that's it. These licenses will be part of your smat license pools and be consumed by your firepower device.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Appreciate the info, Francesco.  Based on Marvin's response below, I think I should try to get the licensing guy to share the license, but it's good to know I have this option if he continues to be unresponsive.

Chris

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't typically recommend "Convert to Smart Licensing" since that invalidates the PAK for use with other classic ASAs. Instead ask the licensing team to share the PAKs to your Smart account. That will make the licenses eligible for use by both classic PAK-based devices (classic ASA appliance, IOS routers) as well as newer Smart-licensed devices (FTD, ASAv, ASA on Firepower)

Thanks Marvin, I came across a FAQ referencing the same thing, so I reached out again to the case owner asking about sharing the license, listing the specifics as instructed in the FAQ.  Still haven't heard from him, though.  I'll try again in the morning to see if I can make some headway.

Chris

Thanks again, Marvin.  I ended up sending a new request to the licensing email asking to share the licenses, and they took care of it very quickly.  I'm up and running now.

Chris

If you are not getting a response from the licensing engineer assigned to your case, I would suggest calling TAC and ask to speak with the engineer.  If he is still unresponsive, then I would ask for the case to be re-queued so that you get another engineer.  Make note of the engineer's name that was unresponsive and when you are asked to rate / review how Cisco responded to your case be sure to mention this so Cisco can take actions that they deem fitting for the situation.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Thanks, that's a good idea.  I sent him another email last night, but if I don't hear anything by this afternoon I'll do this.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: