Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP! Cisco ASAv license change from 5 day demo to Perpetual

Kalipinde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a pair of Active/Standby Cisco ASAv50 VM firewalls which were licensed with a 5 demo license ( ASAv50 Standard - 10G ) in order to get the solution up and running asap to get remote workers online this week given the current outbreak. Our vendor put the demo license on our 'Smart Software Licensing' portal earlier this week and I was able to apply the license following this handy link:

http://binaryroute.net/cisco-asav-smart-licensing-explained-and-registration-process/

We now have the proper Perpetual licenses on our portal so I have 2 in use (the 5 day demo licenses) and 4 more available in the pool (Perpetual) which are unused but I don't know how to apply the new licenses to replace the 5 day demo license which expires in a couple of days. I don't know what will happen the day demo license expires - will the firewalls automatically pick up the new Perpetual licenses and carry on working or do I need to swap them over somehow? The CLI doesnt show an expiry date so it's not obvious what happens.

I might be worrying about nothing but would rather check and be safe rather than have thousands of users not being able to work on Monday morning so any advice would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You can try to renew the registration (license smart renew auth)

Before you renew, you can remove the demo license from your smartaccount so it will take the right license when registering. Normally after its period check it will switch to the valid licenses.
Anyways, on the asa itself, you'll see out of compliance but it won't impact users.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

I contacted Cisco licensing and they confirmed the following:

"After the demo expires the device will automatically start using the permanent ones, you don’t need to do anything. No Action is required from your end."

and to verify that the new license has applied:

"The alerts in the smart licensing portal that you licensing is expiring (the demo) will be gone and the device will consume the permanent license."

The expiry happens tomorrow so I will reply back to this forum to advise how it goes.

Thanks all!

Kal.

Hi,

Just to confirm that this went through with no issues. The demo licenses disappeared from the Smart Portal so now the balance of ASAv50 licenses reduced from 6 to 4 but still sufficient for my two VMs so all good. No actual intervention was required but thought I did keep an eye on it to be sure!

Thanks for your assistance!

Kal