Views
Helpful
Replies

How PRI dials BRI?

pavan.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm pavan working for an ISP. We have few customers who connects through ISDN service for using VOIP.For making outbound call, once customer dials the number BRI will dial PRI and he will get connected and VOIP call will through.But in case of inbound call, I have a doubt. I will draw the network diagram:If some one calls from US to INDIA , it will reach upto my access router ( HYD) from there will my PRI dials customer ISDN router BRI ? or do i need to configure my router for this facility?

Please clarify

USA--->our NY POP(our VOICE gateway is placed here)--->MUMBAI(ourbackbone router)---->HYD(Accessrouter)-----------ISDN-------->customer site----->Cisco ATA.

1 Reply 1

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

As far as the PRI or BRI is concerned, it does not know or care whether there is a PRI or BRI at the other end. In fact, as far as the router is concerned, the ISDN only goes as far as the carrier. After that, it is the carrier's business what he does with the call until it emerges at the other end. So there is no difference dialing into a PRI as dialling into a BRI. (Except if you use your PRI try and open more than one channel to a BRI, in which case the BRI end will reject any new connections after the first two.)

Think of the ISDN as a collection of independent dialup channels; the PRI just has more lines available.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg