Views
Helpful
Replies

HOW TO STOP p2p LIKE BITTORRENT WITH ASA 5520

rooland12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are using ASA 5520.We have blocked port 80 and 443 from Inside to any destination .Below that we have another rule which alow any to any for IP.

If anyone can help me how to block bittorrent download from inside network. I can't block P2P ports since SYKPE is also using P2P.

Regards,

Rooland

3 Replies 3

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

See below the following configuration guide based on enabling HTTP inspection to block P2P traffic that is using HTTP tunneling.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808c38a6.shtml

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

Hi sean,

I dont want to block complete P2P traffice because if I do so IM will also get blocked. I want to know how to block bittorrent downloading at the same time other P2P application like IM should work.

Regards,

Rooland

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rooland,

I am not sure if Skype also uses P2P within HTTP. So another way to configure this would be to drop the DNS requests sent for the torrent trackers.

hostname(config)# regex url1 "[t|T][r|R][a|A][c|C][k|K][e|E][r|R]"
hostname(config)# regex url2 "!some other common words in the trackers. ex: torrent!"

You would need to monitor a few torrent downloads to have a list of the latest trackers.
Also, if you would have torrent in the regex, then some torrent websites (which have torrent in the URL) themselves would not open.

hostname(config)# class-map type inspect dns torrent_url_policy
hostname(config-cmap)# match domain-name regex url1
hostname(config-cmap)# match domain-name regex url2
hostname(config-cmap)# exit

hostname(config)# policy-map type inspect dns torrents_policy
hostname(config-pmap)# class torrent_url_policy
hostname(config-pmap-c)# drop
hostname(config-pmap)# parameters
hostname(config-pmap-p)# message-length maximum 512

hostname(config)# policy-map global_policy
hostname(config-pmap)# class inspection_default
hostname(config-pmap-c)# no inspect dns preset_dns_map
hostname(config-pmap-c)# inspect dns torrents_policy

This way, the trackers would never be resolved to their ip addresses, and thus the download would not start.

Hope this helps.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark the question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.