Views
Helpful
Replies

Inability to Connect to ASA 5505

Kim Hoang
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings-

I'm going to describe this the best I can ...

VPN users are having intermittent problems connecting to the ASA from the outside.  When users complain, I'll log into the ASA via ASDM and watch the logs, I don't see anything get logged while they attempt to connect (AnyConnect).  I have pings enabled from the outside and that's not even getting logged when pinging to the ASA.  However, as soon as I run a ping, sourcing from the ASA to a public IP, everything works!?!  It's like the 'outside' port becomes inactive when not in use, but 'wakes up' as soon as outbound traffic is detected.

I have 5 public IP addresses from our router (3 VoIP, 1 Web Server, 1 ASA).  All, except the ASA, are pingable during the occurrence.

Possible that I have a bad port on the ASA?  We just purchased the 5505 a month ago ... I hope it isn't.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Kim Hoang
Level 1
Level 1

I was on-site to check the physical connections of the ASA and the routers.  I found that the 'outside' Ethernet cable to the router was laying over the UPS supplying power to 3 servers.  I re-routed the cable and secured it so that it wouldn't drop to the ground again.  Once that was done, I haven't had a drop-out since. 

Perhaps interference from the electrical currents of the UPS was causing my problems???