Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Incorrect TCP session Logs for Remote VPN Users on Cisco ASA

Hi everyone,

I have a problem on a Cisco ASA5520 version 8.2(5).

A customer has set up a syslog to keep tracks of tcp sessions made by vpn users.

On the syslog we filter %ASA-6-302013 and %ASA-6-302014 log messages, respectively: Built inbound TCP connection and Teardown TCP connection.

When the connection is made by a vpn user, at the end of the log line you see the vpn username which should be the same in both the messages for the same connection.

I have verified that when a user, let's say UserA, disconnects from the vpn, their tcp sessions are not properly closed;

if another user, let's say UserB, establish a VPN immeditaely after and gets the same IP address previously assigned to UserA, the log sessions are recored with UserA in the %ASA-6-302013 message and UserB in the %ASA-6-302014 message.

I presume this is due to the fact the tcp sessions are not tore down when the first user disconnects and it looks like a bug to me but I didn't find it referenced anywhere.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Is there a way to have all tcp session tore down when a user disconnects the VPN connection?

Thank you in advance.

Valerio Galantini

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jennifer,

unfortunately we need to account the users for their session/traffic and then report each IP the users connects to and how much traffic was made to those IP, so we can't just use login and logoff messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: