Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec (AH, ESP / Tunnel, Transport) ---VPN

Fotit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

Today i need help to understand the "WHEN" use each protocole and mode of IPSec !

I don't talk about definitions please (...)

I know that AH algorithm provid IA & anti reply, and ESP algorithm (protocol) provid CIA& Anti reply

But both can used in tunnel or transport mode

so we have 4 cases:

AH Transport

AH Tunnel

ESP Transport

ESP Tunnel

Can you tell me with examples, when i will choose one or other?

so for example, when we try to build ipsec site to site (using internet), wich case will be used?

it's important to understand the concepts before doing configuration, because it help more and make easy steps of configuration..

Thanks

2 Replies 2

@Fotit 

You would rarely, if ever choose between AH and ESP.

ESP is always used, as it actually encrypts the data and authenticates the header. Where as AH only authenticates the header and does not encrypt the data.

I seem to recall that FTD no longer supports AH.

Tunnel mode encrypts the entire original IP packet, where as transport mode only encrypts the data payload of the original packet. Tunnel mode is default on cisco devices.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ESP - widely used as per most of the deployment i have seen.

here is some difference from my notes :

Authentication Header (AH)
Provides both authentication and integrity services and It does not encrypt any data at all and itsn’t wok through NATed network as it hashes both the payload and header of a packet while NAT changes the IP header of a packet during translation which reflect on the receiving device will believe the packet has been altered in transit, and reject the packet.Encapsulation Security Payload (ESP)

ESP :

Provides all of confidentiality, authentication, and integrity services; while ESP uses a hash algorithm for data integrity, the hash does not include the IP header of the packet, thus ESP will work normally through a NATed device.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help