cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN backup for Concentrator-to-router VPN using Dialer Watch

a-greaves
Level 1
Level 1

I've configured a lan-to-lan connection from a 3000 series Concentrator to a remote Router using IPSEC over the Internet.

I'd like the remote router to obtain routing information from the Central Concentrator, so it can use Dialer Watch. Dialer Watch would look for a routing table entry received from the Concentrator, and if it disappears use the ISDN interface to connect to the central site.

I've looked on Cisco's website and only found data on how to get routing information transferred to internal routers i.e routers connected via the private interface. Can it be done to remote VPN Routers over the public interface ?

regards

1 Reply 1

afakhan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, you can get routes advertised out the vpn3k public/private interface via RIP/OSPF, but they are not going to get encrypted, hence not much use, and this scenario is not going to be possible.

As an alternate, what you can do is to use a router inside the vpn3k, and use gre to encap OSPF/EIGRP on it, this way you can run routing protocol over the tunnel, and watch for the route, if it disappears, you can kick in your bri line.

thx

Afaq