cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN/PSTN connections to non-cisco routers

meganckk
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to setup ISDN/PSTN connections to non cisco-routers but to ordinary ISDN/PSTN modems?

Most of the time customers connections are based on username/pwd.

I don't succeed to setup such a connection from a cisco 2600.

All help is welcome

4 Replies 4

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

It is possible to establish ISDN connectivity as long as there are ISDN Compatible equipments at both the ends. If the equipment is a non ISDN compatible, then we should use a Terminal adapter which acts as a inerface between the ISDN compatible equipment and non ISDN compatible equipment.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should be very possible to set up a connection from a Cisco router to a non-cisco over ISDN or PSTN assuming that media are compatible, communications parameters match correctly, and the same authentication method is used on both ends. You would need to know what userid and what password, and what authentication method the other end was using.

If you have attempted this and it has not succeeded then there must be some error in your configuration or there is some mismatch between what you have configured and what the other end is doing.

As a starting place it would help if you would post what you have configured. It may also be necessary to supply information about what the other end is doing. But start with your configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

interface Dialer19

ip unnumbered FastEthernet0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name XXXX (identical to username)

dialer string 000XXXXXXXX

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp chap hostname XXXX (identical to username)

ppp chap password 7 XXXX

This is a working connection on a W2K3 RRAS server. I assume it is using MS-CHAP..

Any possibility to make this work on the router?

If you have good links to how to setup these type of ISDN connections, they are welcome.

greetz

kristine

I am a little confused. The original post said that you had not succeeded in getting dial to work on a 2600. I asked you to post what you had configured. This response says that it is a working connection for W2K3 RRAS. So if this is a working configuration, post the configuration that did not work, compare it to the one that works, and figure what the differences are.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick