Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4451 Stuck in rommon mode with no boot image

podedina1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to upgrade the Software image for a Cisco ISR 4451-x but after deleting the old image and reload. The route could not boot to the new image and stuck in rommon 1 > mode. even though when I do a dir bootflash: I saw the new image listed but router could not boot to it. How do I fix this.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The route could not boot to the new image

Console into the router and reboot the router.  I want to see WHY the router would not boot the IOS file.

podedina1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I console to the router and it is giving error about the platform. I manage to solve the problem by formating the router boot image. I initially thought the IOS file is currupt but I could boot to the same IOS image through tftp.  

Then I tried another image and it worked. So a colleague advise to format the boot flash which I did and this fix the problem.

Also I have to set the environment variables to be able to boot to the image through tftp in rommon. This is how to set the environment variable 

rommon 1>IP_ADDRESS: 10.1.1.1

rommonn 2>IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
rommon 3>DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 10.1.1.2
rommom 4>TFTP_SERVER: 10.1.1.2
rommonn 5>TFTP_FILE: isr4400-universalk9.03.16.01a.S.155-3.S1a-ext.SPA.binent variable

My desktop is the same IP add as the gateway stated above and I run tftp server on the laptop with the root pointing to the ios file.

Then

rommon 6>bootflash: tftp: