Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with embedded Anyconnect Web bBrowser and WebView2

jackfait1
Level 1
Level 1

We have AnyConnect 4.10.05111 installed and use Okta to connect with SAML

AnyConnect is set to use the embedded browser but it appears an update to Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime 109.0.1518.52 broke the Okta login page from displaying properly

We have AnyConnect version 4.10.05111 and the newer one did not fix the issue. I would hate to go back a version especially since things were working fine till the latest update.

We did fix it on one machine by uninstalling/reinstalling AnyConnect and webview2. Anyone else experience this issue and have an easier fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jhaynes
Level 1
Level 1

We experienced the same issue in our org when we had machines update Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime from the 16th. 
I would like to point out we are also running the same version of Anyconnect too. 

We first thought it was the Windows January Cumulative update however, yea it turns out it was the Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime when looking at DART logs. It appears during the update it potentially corrupted something in the WebView2 install as some people were unaffected. 

The only fix we have been able to find is re-installing WebView2. We first dealt with tickets we had on a case by case by getting people to go to add and remove programs click on WebView2 and choose to modify and then repair. This just installs the runtime again. 

Jhaynes_0-1674076249106.png

We have now deployed a scripted uninstall and install of WebView2 through our SCCM server to all devices which we are hoping will help close off this issue we have seen. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jhaynes
Level 1
Level 1

We experienced the same issue in our org when we had machines update Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime from the 16th. 
I would like to point out we are also running the same version of Anyconnect too. 

We first thought it was the Windows January Cumulative update however, yea it turns out it was the Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime when looking at DART logs. It appears during the update it potentially corrupted something in the WebView2 install as some people were unaffected. 

The only fix we have been able to find is re-installing WebView2. We first dealt with tickets we had on a case by case by getting people to go to add and remove programs click on WebView2 and choose to modify and then repair. This just installs the runtime again. 

Jhaynes_0-1674076249106.png

We have now deployed a scripted uninstall and install of WebView2 through our SCCM server to all devices which we are hoping will help close off this issue we have seen. 

masepri
Level 1
Level 1

We are also experiencing the same problem (thankfully with only a subset of people, seems to be random as majority are fine). Thank you for posting this question and the fix - I am going to do a reinstall via SCCM package for our affected users. We also opened a TAC case will be curious if Cisco can do anything on their end.

Jhaynes
Level 1
Level 1

Microsoft has now acknowledged this is a bug and is now tracked. https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/WebView2Feedback/issues/3136
I posted the fix on there too with a simple PS script I wrote if anyone is interested. 

masepri
Level 1
Level 1

EDIT: made corrections, I noticed some of the machines that were affected did not have the required folder/setup.exe left anymore in program files, because of the corruption. In this case I had to include the setup.exe from a working installation into the files dir and point to that in the script for the uninstall

Here is the relevant portion of my PSADT PowerShell script for doing the reinstall if anyone finds it helpful 

##execute silent force uninstall of Webview2, throws exit code 19 when it succeeds so ignoring
Execute-Process -Path "$dirFiles\setup.exe" -Parameters '--uninstall --msedgewebview --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall' -IgnoreExitCodes '19'

##execute silent Install of Webview2
Execute-Process -Path "$dirFiles\MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX64.exe" -Parameters '/silent /install'

grasers
Level 1
Level 1

We've seen a user who's WebView2 update didn't install fully. Leaving the old version behind, with random bits of the new one. We had to manually uninstall the old setup.exe. Which removed the old and new remnants. Then the standalone WebView2 installer worked properly.

jackfait1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help on this issue! Our Workstation Team has a solution in place to reinstall WebView2.