Helpful
Replies

Leased Line Security

WhiteHat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys, 

I hope you are enjoying health all of you, 

I have been in discussion with higher level of management about the best solution of securing leased line based on this question. I say D and he says B .. this is confuses me 

Which of the following encrypts the traffic on a leased line?

A. Telnet

B. SSH

C. VTP

D. VPN

E. DMVPN

Thank you in advance 

6 Replies 6

Well technically you'd both be correct, but it depends on what you were trying to achieve. SSH would protect management of the device only, whereas a VPN would protect all traffic. You could also use DMVPN too, however you can use DMVPN without IPSec protection therefore traffic would be unencrypted.

Yes that is my point, That SSH used to protected management devices only ,, correct me

If we need to answer  question

Which of the following encrypts the traffic on a leased line?

SSH protects only management access to the device but always  encrypts traffic - we cannot have SSH without encryption

For VPN  - encryption is not mandatory / but is rarely used without it/ - so we can have VPN without encryption

If question is  What is  best solution of securing leased line based than answer would be VPN (with strong encryption algorithm)

HTH

msir

kjhamdani
Level 1
Level 1

I think that we are talking here about SSH. One thing is missing here. We are reading VPN, but one thing which we are missing that VPN are only secure if they are encrypted. I hope that you are getting my point. 

Regards,

Kam

Ibrahim90
Level 1
Level 1

The question here is about encrypting traffic on leased line, which is clearly talks about WAN connection. therefore the SSH does not make any sense as it has nothing to do with WAN or leased lines.

If the question was declaring what kind of traffic is it "management traffic" and without mentioning "leased line",  > then SSH would make sense.

but in this combination, the answer is absolutely VPN.

NOTE: some people says VPN can be done without encyrption, this is wrong, if its without encyrtion then its called GRE Tunnel, or just a Tunnel, but VPN defines the Tunnel and the encryption such as IPSec.

Regards

Ibrahim A.

About VPN. It stands only for Virtual Private Network. Nothing About encrypt ion. Think About MPLS this is a layer 2 VPN in fact. And encrytption is not a must there. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: