cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac OS Anyconnect 3.1.05187 versus 4.0.00048 compatibility

bruinonline
Level 1
Level 1

We're a little confused by information in the release notes on supported Mac operating systems:

Anyconnect 4.0.00048:

Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9 x86(32-bit) and x64(64-bit)

Anyconnect 3.1.05187:

AnyConnect 3.1.05187 also adds support for Mac OS X 10.10. Support for Mac OS X 10.7 has been dropped.

So the latest version of 3.1 officially supports Yosemite (10.10) but drops support for 10.7 but 4.0 doesn't yet support 10.10 but still supports 10.7? Can someone clarify? Thank you.

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Interesting observation. I can only guess why this is so. I guess they have two development teams working on those two clients. As AC4 is a new release with many new features, they much earlier stopped development on an older code base to test all the changed/new features, whereas the AC3.1 is more or less just a bugfix release which requires much less testing and thus is much faster through the testing process.

Often you can even install the new version on older Operating Systems, but it's just unsupported from a getting TAC support side.

Turns out Cisco is restricting access to version 4 (depending on your contract/license) so it doesn't really matter to us now. :)

But yeah you're right. I just realized, after reading the release notes more closely, that they mention both "dropped support" and "will not install".

I guess as long as it will install we can consider it to be "compatible" with the caveat being Cisco won't provide technical support for anyone using it on an unsupported OS.

Thanks.