Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC OS-X Lion and Error 51 - Help Needed ASAP Please

lgldsr1973
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have been using the Cisco VPN Client (4.9.01) for Mac under Snow Leopard (10.6.x) without any issues.

Since upgrading to Lion earlier today I am now receiving an Error 51 - unable to communicate with the subsystem.

I found a thread that suggested restarting the system while holding down Opt/3/2 keys to force a 32-Bit restart and the Client will indeed run. However, this is a bandaid patch.

Has Cisco addressed this issue? Is there a better workaround at this time?

Thank you,

Lyman

17 Replies 17

Craig Lorentzen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please review

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3613

Use the Mac OS X built in client.

-Craig

rcancilla2
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I cut and pasted the encrypted code from the pcf file into this thing then copied and pasted the "clear" code into my MAC's client config.  The tool tells me that I have an invalid shared code.  The company I am working with is paranoid about giving out the shared code.  They expect people to be able to import the pcf files.   Any other ideas? 

I can't get VPN to work on a Windows 7 Client or on my Mac OS X 10.7.3 (which is where I really want this to work).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Robert,

In Windows 7 you would need to use the Cisco IPsec client which operates the same way as it does in XP with regards to the pcf.  So I am not sure why you are having trouble with Win7, if you are still having trouble with Win7 using the Cisco IPsec client please start a new thread for that specific issue as it is separate and distinct from Mac OS X and using the Mac OS X built in client.

Did you follow this guide:

http://anders.com/guides/native-cisco-vpn-on-mac-os-x/

Thanks tomas.truchly.

I have not heard of an issue with the Mac OS X Built-in client when properly configured and when the head-end has the security levels necessary.

Also, since this thread has been Answered, to help ensure you get the help you need it might be best to open a new thread.

-Craig