cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mapped Drive Issues with VPN Tunnel

mgierhart
Level 1
Level 1

We are using 2 Cisco RV042 VPN Routers  - tunneling between my two radio studios. The problem

we are having happens many times throughout the day. We cannot connect to our Mapped Drives between

Studio A and Studio B. After waiting several minutes , the mapping may go straight through. When the mapped drive

is not found , it doesn't matter which computer we try , we get the same \\192.168.1.201 can not be accessed ..

I am always able to "ping" the address. I also noticed when we are able to access the drive , then I can access it

from any of the computers.

Mapping with the same studio network is fine.. Issue is with mapping at other end of tunnel. Either direction.

Studio A uses -     IP :192.168.1.xxx    Subnet: 255.255.255.0   Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Studio B uses -     IP :192.168.15.xxx   Subnet: 255.255.255.0   Gateway: 192.168.15.1

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance..

Mark Gierhart

4 Replies 4

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

What kind of VPN tunnel? Are you using gre in IPSec? If you can always ping but you are having Cifs problems, I've seen mtu cause this. Ping but gradually increase the size from about 1400 bytes to see where you get maxed out. Or take the simple way out and adjust the mtu to 1420 on the interface and a tcp mss of 1380.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Jeff -

Thanks for the quick reply .  We are using the Gateway to Gateway VPN Tunnel that is standard with the

RV042 routers. I am able to PING at either end packet sizes over 2000 bytes with no errors. These pings are

through the tunnel to the other end.

Can you tell me how to set the MTU and the tcp mss settings in the RV042...

Thanks

Mark

mgierhart
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to find and change the MTU setting on both routers to manual and 1420 bytes.

I then went to My Computer and typed in  \\192.168.1.201  which is a shared computer on the

other side of the tunnel.

After about 30 seconds I get:  "Windows can not find \\192.168.1.201 . Check spelling.... etc.

From this same computer I went to a command prompt and was able to ping. I even was able to

ping a packet size of 1500 bytes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Sorry to keep injecting, but I tried a few minutes later and I connected right through.. Seems like

when it connectsa, I can then try several over computers and also connect , and when I can't , none

of the drives will connect.

Thanks

Mark