Views
Helpful
Replies

Max No dialer Interfaces on 3845

clarke.jason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am implementing an OOBM solution using a core 3845 router. The remote locations total 800 sites, so i need to know how many dialer interfaces a 3845 can support?

I am expecting that there is a limitation and that multiple chassis will need to be used.

Thanks

JAson

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

I have not implemented something like this and so can not speak from experience. But I believe that the limiting factor is likely to be the number of simultaneous connections that you need to support and the amount of bandwidth required for each connection rather than a limit on the number of dialer interfaces.

The dialer interface is a virtual interface and in general the IOS does not put limitations on the number of virtual interfaces other than the limit on the number of IDBs (one per interface).

If you know how much bandwidth each connection will require (is 64K sufficient or will you need multiple channels per connection) and if you know how many simultaneous connections you need to support then you can estimate how many PRI connections you will need and that may guide you about whether multiple chassis are required.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick