Views
Helpful
Replies

Miracast with AnyConnect Split Tunneling

ldingerkus
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

we have a new Surface Hub at our site and want to use it while connected to our company VPN (Cisco AnyConnect).

Our Infrastructure:

We have a wi-fi network for our employees which has only access to the internet. When connected to this wifi, collegues have to connect to our AnyConnect endpoint to work inside our safe network.

Problem:

During this VPN session it is not possible to connect to the Surface Hub via Miracast for sharing the screen. In AnyConnect for security reasons we have restricted split tunneling in any way.

I started to debug things a while and found out that Windows is creating a new network adapter for connencting to the Surface Hub, which seems to be a wifi direct connection.

Does anyone else have similar problems or is there any possibility to allow this kind of split tunneling without defining specific subnets in which the wifi direct connection is established?

The workaround for now is to connect the laptop to our safe LAN directly.

Thanks for any helpful tips or answers!

Kind regards,

Lars

4 Replies 4

Hi

Does your VPN use filter? Maybe some required port is not getting through.

By the wayS Splittunnel is just a technique in which you can define which traffic you want to send via VPN and which you want to send to the internet directly.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi and thanks for the fast reply!

What kind of filter do you mean?

As I mentioned, we do not allow split tunneling in any way. So all connections from the laptop are routed through our VPN gateway. On the gateway we are filtering allowed an disallowed traffic.

But Miracast is working peer-to-peer. The Notebook connects to the adhoc wifi of the Surface Hub directly and can share the screen via this connection. In Windows this is displayed as a new network adapter. This article from Microsoft says, that most VPNs block this wifi direct connection and may think that it is kind of split tunneling.

When I then connect to our network, AnyConnect seems to block the miracast adapter and the connection to the Hub is lost.

Kind regards,

Lars

Hi,

I reply to the answer directly as it seems that I have almost the same issue as ldingerkus.

We use a secured network when located in the company building.

When trying to connect from my home, we have to use Cisco AnyConnect to create a VPN in order to access to the internal network.

I try to connect to my TV via Miracast, but the VPN is disabled when connecting to the TV.

Do you have an idea of settings I can use to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Lponiard

This is such a hot item, why is there no resolution. You cannot use Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter with Cisco Anyconnect as it boots the Wireless Display device out of the device manager after a few seconds of connecting. There is got to be a way to put the MWDA in approved device list, leave it alone. lol...

Please someone fix this.