lnx91
Level 1
Level 1

Hey so:
1) I am a total newb, ELI5 please
2) My work uses Cisco AnyConnect for VPN
3) I have a mac with AnyConnect on it and it works fine
4) we use certs for auth

5) I installed anyconnect on my mobile phone (iOS) and it works fine (imported the cert via url in diags, weewww took me a while to figure that one out)
Now the question... Connecting through the VPN via AnyConnect requires pass input every time (probably a policy set on the server). iOS' VPN settings have a pass field and I assume it can save it and not ask for it everytime. So i tried creating a vpn config in settings (IPsec), entered all the info, checked the USE CERTIFICATE switch, selected the certificate below, saved, tried to connect.... "the vpn server did not respond". i go back to edit the config settings and i notice the use cert option is disabled. it just self disables every time idk why. I'm getting the feeling the server allows connections only via AnyConnect app, could this be true? What else can I try 

please and thanks

1 Reply 1

It's great that you have successfully installed AnyConnect on your Mac and mobile phone. Based on your description, it seems like the issue you're facing is related to the native iOS VPN settings not working correctly with your company's VPN server.

To address your question, it is quite possible that your company's VPN server is configured to accept connections only via the Cisco AnyConnect app. This is because the AnyConnect app is designed to work seamlessly with Cisco VPN solutions and might include specific security features or settings that are not available in the native iOS VPN settings.

Here are a few things you can try:

1. Double-check the VPN settings you entered in the native iOS VPN configuration. Ensure that the server address, account name, and other necessary details match what you have in the AnyConnect app.

2. Contact your IT department or network administrator and ask if the VPN server is configured to accept connections only from the Cisco AnyConnect app. They may have set up specific security policies that prevent connections from the native iOS VPN settings.

3. If your IT department confirms that the native iOS VPN settings are not supported, you will have to continue using the Cisco AnyConnect app on your mobile device. In this case, it is unlikely that you can save the password within the native iOS VPN settings, as the password requirement is likely enforced by your company's VPN server policy.

Remember that using the Cisco AnyConnect app would be the recommended way to connect to your company's VPN, especially when using a mobile device, as it is specifically designed to work with Cisco VPN solutions and provides better security and compatibility.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.