cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MS workgroups over VPN tunnel

aboutabl
Level 1
Level 1

I have a main network 172.16.9.0/24 and a remote network 172.16.2.0/24. The remote network is operating in NEM via a 3002 hardware client with VPN 3015 concentrator as headend device. The hardware client acts as dhcp to just the .2 subnetwork. A 2600 router is between the .9 subnet and private interface of concentrator on the main site. I can map a network drive from a host in subnetwork 2 to a host in the subnetwork 9 no problem. In subnet 9 there is a DHCP server and DNS server(same machine). Using workgroups, hosts in this subnet can browse network neighborhood and see other's computers shares etc in just this subnet. How can I enable hosts in the .2 subnet to browse the .9 subnet via network neighborhood? I added the host in .2 subnet to the same workgroup as hosts in .9 subnet but that didn't work. -much thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is more of a MS issue, but you should be able to get around it. The issue is that NetBios packets don't get sent over the VPN. There's some good information on it here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080194b4a.shtml#nt

This relates to VPN clients specifically, but the concepts are the same.

Some things to try on the remote PC's are make sure "Netbios over TCP/IP" is checked under the TCP/IP - WINS settings in their Local Area Connection profile, and also ensure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks" are checked under this connection.

Thanks for the insight. "Netbios over TCP/IP" is checked under the TCP/IP WINS setting. "Client for MS Networks" and "F&P Sharing for MS Networks" are installed. I set up a WINS server and can see the host named "remote" (172.16.2.6) in the list of active registrations, actually i see 3 of the same computer name. I know that Netbios is passing through the VPN tunnel because I can type the name of a host on the internal network into the explorer bar on the remote host, ie: \\hostname. It then remains in the network neighborhood until i close explorer. However, I am still unable to double click on network neighborhood and see all the hosts on my internal network. Is it a problem if I have my hardware client configured as dhcp to the remote network, and the other information DNS and WINS is coming from the internal network via the IPSec tunnel? when I do an ipconfig /all everything looks correct.