cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need router recommendation for VPN support

ggrauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I need to setup the network for an office in NY and one in Detroit. The NY office will have ~40 users and the Detroit office will have ~25 users. Both offices will have T1 connectivity. Of course the offices will need to be connected via a VPN. Now my question is, is there a router that has built in VPN support or is an external VPN device needed. I have in mind the 3640 and also the 1751. Does anyone know the approximate costs of these?

I appreciate any and all help.

1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

Both the 3640 and the 1700 support IPSEC which is IOS specific. When you order your routers, you need to order the encryption feature pack. The 1700 might be a bit slower than you want for T1 speed encryption… depending on traffic. A pair of 3600’s or even 2600’s would be fine and if you feel VPN performance is lagging you can always add the hardware encryption module later (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/2600/prodlit/kaos_ds.htm). In any case, have your Cisco rep look at your situation and make the right recommendations for you environment. Pricing varies depending on features and platforms so you’ll have to get that from your dealer as well.