cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX IMIX/Throughput

mamoss
Level 3
Level 3

I can't see any published figures for 3DES IMIX and PIX-506E (or other PIXs). I have a few on 10mb links that only seem to achieve 6-7mb outgoing. Seems better incoming at around 9mb. The CPU runs at about 75% at around 7mb.

Anyone seen similar limits or done any testing to establish the expected practical VPN throughput? thanks.

3 Replies 3

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

PIX 506E has 16 Mbps of Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) VPN throughput

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/ps4336/index.html

but I think Cisco uses for counting of 3DES throughput packet size 512 bytes... so if you have in your environment packets with larger size you can get lower throughput

M.

Hope that helps rate if it does

Milan,

Yes I've seen that in the documentation. The problem is these marketing figures are rarely the attainable figures in real life traffic. Thats why the IMIX is nearer to practicality. For example, the published figures for most routers are quite often significantly over what can be achieved. Thanks.

Yes Its problem of packet size - as i wrote perfomance testing is done with 512byte packet size so they get quite good numbers but in real network you have often larger packets - its vendors marketing trick