cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printing thought a VPN tunnel

pj_mtl
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right group. Basically I have two (2) pix 501 firewalls with a VPN between both sites. I can't seem to print to the other server on the other end of the VPN. Is there anything I need to enable on the firewall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Are you able to ping the printer's ip address ? Is it a printer with a network card with a TCP/IP address on it ? You could try adding the printer as a local printer on your PC/Laptop and specify the port as a standard TCP/IP port. The wizard will then let you add the printer's ipaddress and select the type of printer. You should be ablet to print to this printer across the printer using IP address.

If you are printing by Netbios name, it could be a netbios name resolution problem. The link below is related to VPN Client, but might help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080194b4a.shtml

You might wanna try adding a LMHOSTS entry and see if that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yeah I can ping the printer's IP address. I'll take a look at the link you provided.

Thanks

Can you telnet to the printers ip-address on the normal ports? try "telnet ip-address 515" to test UNIX lpd functionality and "telnet ip-address 9100" to test hplj network printing (usually used)

if this works, your network config is good and it's up to the next layer... ak name resolution.

br

//K

shjuneja
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Check the following things:

1)both the pix firewalls should have the following command:

sysopt connection permit-ipsec

2)the ip address of the printers should be mentioned in the interesting traffic access-list. can u ping the printer by the ip address?

3)if the printers can be printed without the vpn, i think the above mentioned steps will take care of the issue.

thanks,

Shweta Juneja,

TAC Engineer,VPN,

Cisco Systems Inc.

E-mail: shjuneja@cisco.com

Phone: (801) 703-2288 Extn: 57200

Working Hours : 06:00 - 15:00 hrs. (MST)

Off Days: (Saturdays and Sundays)