cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private IP to Private IP communication over VPN tunnel

dan731028
Level 1
Level 1

I am needing to setup communication between my local LAN segment and a remote LAN segment using private IP addresses.  We currently have a VPN tunnel up between the two sites, and we currently NAT our private traffic to a public IP and send that over to another public NAT on the remote site.  I am unable to see traffic from the remote site via private IP and when I use packet tracer in the ASDM, the packet is dropped at the first "VPN" statement.  Anything I need to do different since I am using a NAT exempt statement?

pt_pbt_fail2.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

raga.fusionet
Level 4
Level 4

Daniel,

Have you modified your crypto ACLs so that they include the private LANs as well?

Right now they are probably configured to use the public IP Addresses but how about the Private ones?

Please check this and let us know what you find.

Thanks.

Raga

View solution in original post

ugot2nome
Level 1
Level 1

The ACL in your NAT Exemption should reference the private IP addresses on both sides. Also ensure that you either have a route for the destination address (remote private IP space) on each end pointing to the next hop public IP address of the outgoing (WAN) interface OR configure a reverse-route under the CRYPTO map that is applied to the outside interface. Verify ISAKMP is enabled on the outside interface. crypto iskamp enable outside.

Hope it works. If not attach a copy of the configuration files for further review.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

raga.fusionet
Level 4
Level 4

Daniel,

Have you modified your crypto ACLs so that they include the private LANs as well?

Right now they are probably configured to use the public IP Addresses but how about the Private ones?

Please check this and let us know what you find.

Thanks.

Raga

ugot2nome
Level 1
Level 1

The ACL in your NAT Exemption should reference the private IP addresses on both sides. Also ensure that you either have a route for the destination address (remote private IP space) on each end pointing to the next hop public IP address of the outgoing (WAN) interface OR configure a reverse-route under the CRYPTO map that is applied to the outside interface. Verify ISAKMP is enabled on the outside interface. crypto iskamp enable outside.

Hope it works. If not attach a copy of the configuration files for further review.

Thanks guys, we had an incorrect NAT statement.