cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with users accessing CIFS; anonymous username being sent.

rickbennett
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running WebVPN on a Cisco ASA 5500.

ASA Version: 8.0(4)8

ASDM Version: 6.1(5)

I have a CIFS share setup. I am a Domain Administrator on our 2003 AD domain, and when I log in to the VPN, I click on the CIFS share, and get prompted for my username and password. When I enter the username as DOMAIN\ACCOUNT and my password, I am able to browse the CIFS share.

However, when I have a user that is not a domain admin perform the same task, they get an error "Authentication Error", and cannot access the same CIFS share.

I checked the event viewer of the server, and I see that when a Domain User attempts to access the CIFS share, it is throwing an event ID 529, and the username being passed is anonymous, and not their DOMAIN\Account name.

I have checked both my account, and the other user's accounts, and our primary group is Domain Users.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

This is sounds like it could absolutely be related to CSCsk91498. After instrumenting code I saw the user name being incorrectly parsed and set as the host when there were special characters in the password (I tested with '#'). If you have the # character (or potentially other special characters) in your password this is the same issue. Even if not, the two still might be related.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

This is sounds like it could absolutely be related to CSCsk91498. After instrumenting code I saw the user name being incorrectly parsed and set as the host when there were special characters in the password (I tested with '#'). If you have the # character (or potentially other special characters) in your password this is the same issue. Even if not, the two still might be related.