Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with VPN Failover on Cisco router RV042

mirza.dzafic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have one problem with the failover IPsec Vpn on the Cisco RV042 router. On the image below
you can see i have Cisco ASA5505 on the central location with 2 ISP link, and RV042 router on the
remote location with just one ISP. The scenario that i want to accomplish is to have IPSec between ASA and
RV042 through Primary ISP, and when primary ISP is down to switch on the backup link. You can find configuration
of both device in the document below. The problem that i face is that RV042 doesnt want to switch and establish
IPSEC VPN to the ASA backup ISP automaticly. When i mannauly change configuration of the peer on RV042 VPN with
ASA backup ISP establish, but i want that process to go automaticly.

Anyone who can look at the my configuration , and maybe give advice how to solve this problem ?

Thank you,
Mirza

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @mirza.dzafic,

I think the "Tunnel Backup" feature on RV042 is applicable if RV042 has DUAL WAN. Check out the link below and the point I posted below from the link:

Configuration of Backup Virtual Private Network (VPN) Tunnel on RV042, RV042G and RV082 VPN Routers - Cisco

Step 7. From the Local Interface drop-down list, choose the appropriate WAN interface for backup connection. Choose the alternative WAN interface for a backup connection other than the main VPN connection. If the main VPN connection fails, then only this backup connection appears.

***Please rate all helpful posts***

Spooster IT Services Team

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello @mirza.dzafic,

I think the "Tunnel Backup" feature on RV042 is applicable if RV042 has DUAL WAN. Check out the link below and the point I posted below from the link:

Configuration of Backup Virtual Private Network (VPN) Tunnel on RV042, RV042G and RV082 VPN Routers - Cisco

Step 7. From the Local Interface drop-down list, choose the appropriate WAN interface for backup connection. Choose the alternative WAN interface for a backup connection other than the main VPN connection. If the main VPN connection fails, then only this backup connection appears.

Hello @Spooster IT Services 

I follow this link during my configuration but i didnt know that i cant use Tunnel backup feature with just one link from ISP on RV042. Thank you for this helpful and valuable information.

I just want to conclude: If my IPSec VPN from RV042 established with the primary ISP on ASA5505 go down because of failuere Primary ISP on the HQ, then RV042 can't establish VPN throught the same local wan interface (with tunnel backup feature configured) with ASA5505  backup ISP?

Thank you,

Mirza 

@mirza.dzafic 

Yes. that is true. It will require your intervention.