cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about IPSec after activate securityk9 feature

ahmad.rz
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys. I enabled securityk9 feature for IPSEC and the feature is in eval to use mode. After 4 or 5 weeks if I dont buy the license it will be go to right to use and permanent mode. My question is in this situation will the ipsec technology stop working or will continue working?

Be quick and careful!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is what i talked about before. You have the new evaluation mode called eval right to use.

With an evaluation right to use licence, you're in evaluation for 60 days and at the end of the period, the licence is moved in a right to use licence, you'll need to buy this licence but there's no feature disabled after the 60 days.

At the end of the 60 days period, you have to buy the license to be allowed to use it or do a no license xxx to remove it.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

what platform and ios version are you running?

I ask this because there are 2 options depending on ios version:

- After evaluation period, all features associated to this license stop working.

- For newer, after evaluation period it switches as RTU license and you need to pay for it.

When activating, with newer ios, you have the message below include in all the text:

If you use the product feature beyond the 60 day evaluation period, you
must submit the appropriate payment to Cisco for the license. After the
60 day evaluation period, your use of the product feature will be
governed solely by the Cisco end user license agreement (link above),
together with any supplements relating to such product feature

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks for reply.

It's a C7200P and ios version is 12.4(15)T14.

I heard that because ipsec is technology based after eval to use it's going to be expired. but some features like ssh and etc will remain, is it true ?

Be quick and careful!

If you are currently using an eval license, then when the trial period is over, if you have not purchased a permanent license you will no longer be able to use ipsec on that device.  That is until you purchase the license.  An option would be to contact cisco licensing and see if you can get an extension on the trial license for further testing.  Again this will at some point also expire.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Thanks dear Marius,

yes its eval license and after a period it will change from eval right to use to right to use. some features will remain and maybe ipsec technology stop working. I tested for ssh but not for ipsec and this is new for me. Is it true that ipsec will stop working after period but other features work?

Be quick and careful!

Yes features like ssh will remain.

C7200p means you have a NPE-G2. But on this platform and software, there wasn't any security license as far as i recall. It was old style ios with ios base, advanced security, Enterprise services.... And if you paid for the ios, you were allowed to install it but no evaluation feature.

Thanks
Francesco

yes it's Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G2).

What about ISR & ASR series? I have those too and want to activate ipsec. For example for ISR I have this:

k1.PNG

and output of sh license command:

k2.PNG

after 4 week & 3days will ipsec (and also ssh) stop working if I dont buy the license?

Be quick and careful!

This is what i talked about before. You have the new evaluation mode called eval right to use.

With an evaluation right to use licence, you're in evaluation for 60 days and at the end of the period, the licence is moved in a right to use licence, you'll need to buy this licence but there's no feature disabled after the 60 days.

At the end of the 60 days period, you have to buy the license to be allowed to use it or do a no license xxx to remove it.

Thanks
Francesco

ok so if i dont but the license after 60 days and license type go to right to use, IPSEC doesn't stop working. Thanks

Be quick and careful!

Yes ipsec doesn't stop working

Thanks
Francesco

This is partly correct.  IPsec will continue to work until the device is reloaded.  After the reload the device will revert to the functionality before the temporary license was installed.

Keep in mind that while the device is being used after the trial license is expired, you will be in breach of the EULA agreement in which case you might not be able to receive any support from Cisco until the breach has been corrected.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Yes this is right. I forgot to mention after reboot the license won't work anymore (like Marius Gunnerud). At the reboot, only permanent licenses are activated.

Thanks
Francesco