cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding encryption for a VPN set up between two of our sites

Travis Capehart
Level 1
Level 1

We have two Cisco 2951 routers, one at our main location and one at a branch location.  An engineer from a local company came in and did all the setup work, including the VPN between the two of them.

For an upcoming review, the auditing firm wanted to know what kind of security/encryption was set up between the two routers.  The engineer is no longer available, so I have been going over our configuration files for each of the routers, and am having issues figuring out what to tell them (I'll be the first to admit that some of this stuff is over my head).

I am attaching the portions of the configs with the "crypto" information that he set up.  If you see anything wrong, or need anything additional, let me know. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is what you are using:

Phase1: 3DES, SHA1, PSK, DH Group2 (1024Bit), Lifetime 86400s

Phase2: 3DES, SHA1

That's nowadays considered legacy crypto but probably nothing to worry about. Still the crypto-config has to be considered that there is "room for improvement" ...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

This is what you are using:

Phase1: 3DES, SHA1, PSK, DH Group2 (1024Bit), Lifetime 86400s

Phase2: 3DES, SHA1

That's nowadays considered legacy crypto but probably nothing to worry about. Still the crypto-config has to be considered that there is "room for improvement" ...

Thank you for the quick reply!

What is the next step up in encryption that we could take to not be considered "legacy"?

The only reason I ask is that regulators can really hit us on something like that in the future.

If you want to be at the top of encryption,then you should:

• migrate to IKEv2
  • use DH group 14 or 16 (IKEv2 and PFS)
  • use SHA256
  • use AES-256 for IKEv2
  • use AES-256-GCM for the data-traffic
  • whatever the PSK was, use one that is longer and more complex ... ;-)

For a better manageability, you could migrate from crypto-maps to virtual tunnel-interfaces (VTIs).