cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP plugin / W2K8R2 RDP

smperry
Level 1
Level 1

So far I have been unable to get the RDP or RDP2 plugin to work with a Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Session Host.

It works fine when connecting to a Windows 2003 R2 Terminal server.

Attached are the errors from the RDP and RDP2 plugins.

The latest plugins have been downloaded and installed from Cisco.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?  Any recommendations for workaround / solution?

Regards.

3 Replies 3

dbgreekas
Level 1
Level 1

The 1.1.1 update seems to have fixed a bunch of stuff broken in the rdp plugin.. I think it now superseeds the rdp2 plugin as cisco hasn't updated that since 2009.

In general they are using an opensource product that has been mostly abandon and Cisco seems to be halfassed updating it.

You are better off using the Application Access / smart tunnel to use the REAL microsoft RDP client when connecting. Note you will need to upgrade your ASA to 2GB of ram and 8.3 if you want that to work with windows 7.

I will have a look at the smart tunnels.  However, it somewhat defeats the purpose of using the portal.  In that case we can just use AnyConnect, but there are caveats with that as well.

Cisco support basically said that it is known that the RDP plugin / W2K8 is broken since 8.0(3) and to contact my sales rep for an enhancement request.

3.5 years and it's still broken.  Seems like it has indeed been abandoned.

Smarttunneling the RDP.exe means you still don't need to install a VPN client on the computer and you can make sure only that application has network access.

AnyConnect is a full client, and provides full tunnel accesss, you have to spend more time locking it down.

If your users ALL use windows XP or newer then RDP.exe will already exist on their system.. starting the smart tunnel and RDP is easy.