cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reinstalling the VPN 4.6.00.00.49 client issues

helpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

the user uninstalled the client, 4.6.00.00.49. Then tried to do a reinstall of that same client but got a message you must uninstall current client before reinstall. So the user proceeded to to a manual uninstall, after which he gets the same results. two things that happen are every time he boots his machine it trys to start the installer, and he cannot delete the DNE from the registry. any help would be great. platfrom is WinXP sp2

10 Replies 10

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

If you wish to uninstall the client please make sure not to make any changes to the registry entries or the program files of the client. The auto uninstall option will remove all necessary files and registry entries.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml

unfortunantly the auto-uninstall did not work, so I followed the manuel uninstall with much of the same results, it did not work. Now I am stuck because I cannot reinstall, w/o uninstalling which i cannot do.

I am also having this issue and cannot complete the uninstallation or reinstallation...the only option at this point looks to be reimaging the machines.

note:

I do have other vpn clients installed on this machine but I have them all working properly...I am wondering if this could be caused by another vpn adapter being installed and the installation isnt smart enough to know the difference...?

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

After upgrading to the latest free ZoneAlarm firewall, the Cisco VPN client attempts to install on every reboot. The original .msi cannot be located in the filesystem (was originally downloaded to Temporary Internet Files and is now gone), so it fails.

I've uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted.

Attempts to overinstall with a new vpnclient_setup.msi gives this message:

Error 28005: A previous version of the client was recently uninstalled, but the computer was not rebooted. You must reboot your computer before installing the Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.6.02.011

Rebooting doesn't help, same message everytime.

So I can't get the installed version to work or to uninstall, nor can I overinstall it.

MSI log file text shows the following:

MSI (c) (3C!24) [23:19:58:296]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying CsProp_CiscoRebootFlag property. Its current value is '0'. Its new value: '1'.

Action ended 23:19:58: CsCaDll_TestCiscoRebootFlag. Return value 1.

MSI (c) (3C:B0) [23:19:58:296]: Doing action: CsCaErr_UserRebootFlag

Same problem here.

I have a workstation with a running installation of the cisco vpn client (vpnclient-win-msi-4.6.00.0049-k9).

I cant uninstall this client, after the uninstall fails, the manual uninstall doesnt work neither.

Trouble is I cant suppress the Deterministic Network key in the registry :/

Have you tried uninstalling the DNE from your network connection? Then go to device manager and make sure you do not have a Cisco VPN adapter in your network adapters. You should be able to uninstall the DNE from Regedit then.

I noticed that if Sygate personal firewall is installed you will always have issues with uninstalling this vpn client and it will manifest itself with this same error.

Can u try these steps...

"Manually removing the VPN Client":

1) Open REGEDIT

2) Remove the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Deterministic Networks

Sometimes the system might not allow you to delete this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

{5624c000-b109-11d4-9db4-00e0290fcac5}

Look for any other references to the VPN client and delete it.

3) Delete the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Deterministic Networks

4) Delete all the old DNE files

a) dne2000.sys from %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers

b) dne2000m.inf and dne2000m.pnf from %SystemRoot%\inf

c) The oem enumeration of the dne2000.inf and .pnf files.

The oem enumeration .inf file is a file called oem (some

numeric value).inf. For example oem2.inf and oem2.pnf.

Be careful to only remove oem files from DNE.

d) dneinobj.dll from %SystemRoot%\system32. You may need

to reboot before this file can be removed.

5) Delete the following file:

a) cvpndrv.sys from %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers

6) Go into your device Manager and remove the DNE micromachine adapters,

under Network Adapters.

Reboot the machine and install the client.

Then for all of your adapters, including your dialup adapter, go to the properties

and uninstall "Deterministic Networks" Reboot and let's install the other vpn client.

Try the Installation Shield Client.

Of course I have tried to apply the manual uninstall procedure ...

DNE registry keys cant be removed, and the computer crashes when I try to remove the DNE component in network interfaces.

I see no solution to this. I'm having the same problem atm, anyone come up with anything? Help.........