Views
Helpful
Replies

Routable VPN Between ASA and Windows RRAS

Jason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create a routable VPN between my production network and a small DR server that I have colo'd offsite.

On the production side I have an ASA 5515-X (10.1.0.0/23) and on the DR side I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 server running RRAS, DHCP, NAT, and Hyper-V.  The DR server has a virtual environment with a subnet of 10.5.0.0/24 behind NAT (diagram attached for a visual).  I've seen some tutorials online for how to create a routable VPN between the two, some utilizing the Windows Advanced Firwall to create an IPSec tunnel.  So far, I've not been able to get the tunnel to come up.

Before I spend even more time trying to troubleshoot this, I was wondering what the best way to create a secure connection between these two subnets is and if anybody has done something similar successfully.

Thanks,

Jason

5 Replies 5

ESOSOLUTIONS
Level 1
Level 1

Did you have any success with your setup?  Thanks, PW

None yet, I've been stuck on this for a while now.  My latest attempt caused the DR site to go offline and required hands-on at the colo site to get it back online due to a bad ipsec policy, so I've backed off a bit on trying things.

I am looking into the exact setup you are currently trying (or tried) to implement.  Did you have any luck?

Any words of wisdom and/or tips/tricks?

Thanks!
RR

I've given up trying to make it work at this point.  I'm definitely interested in getting this to work still.  If I see any suggestions, I'm happy to guinea pig it :)

Thanks,
Jason

aluis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I had this problem myself right now. I didn't find any answer from Cisco's site, I'm going to post the one that I found on Microsoft site:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2015/12/27/windows-server-2012-r2-vpn-interoperability-with-cisco-asa/

In the document says: "Cisco ASA being an End-Of-Line product, the OS update for these devices seem unlike". Well this information had helped me 2 weeks ago when I order the ASA firewall and choose another option.

I will try to implement the solution and tell you how it goes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: