Views
Helpful
Replies

S2S VPN Tunnel with AWS not establishing

kbowles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, 

Long time reader, first time requester. As the title states I am having issues getting a S2S IKEv1 tunnel to establish between my ASA 5516-x and our AWS VPC. I followed a guide to do this, and downloaded the config straight from AWS that said to copy and paste into the firewall and the tunnel should come up. If only my life was ever that easy. Anyone have experience doing this? If I run

clear crypto ikev1 *peer ip*

I can see the IKEv1 tunnel in a Wait_MM_MSG2 status for about 15 seconds before I start seeing that there are no IKEv1 tunnels. Please advise. Thank you!

23 Replies 23

This returns nothing because phase 1 is not establishing. Phase 1 for this tunnel will go into an MM_WAIT_MSG2 status for about 30 seconds before completely disappearing from the ikev1 sa 

I know that I need to see if the tunnel select correct tunnel-group 

It must appear l2l as type.

Is this appear?

MHM I ran the packet tracer again twice, and then ran show crypto ikev1 sa (this is the only ikev1 tunnel) Please see the attached screenshot. It is showing type as "user". You can also see it dropping out of the ikev1 after a few seconds and showing there are no ikev1 SAs

Do you see type it user not l2l'

Issue in tunnel-group

MHM

default-group-policy filter

What is this gorup policy' remove it from tunnel group of this peer 

Check again 

MHM

@kbowles your device is initiating the tunnel but has not heard anything back from the peer. You should troubleshoot the peer side to confirm whether everything is setup correctly and that the initial ike/isakmp packet is received.

packet-tracer is for "through" traffic, not to/from the ASA itself. Run a packet capture and confirm traffic sent and received (or not).

Unfortunately, the remote side is AWS and I cant seem to find any "troubleshooting" tools on the VPC. 

Enable

Debug crypto isakmp 

Ping from LAN local to remote 

Copy reuslt 

Then

Disbale debug 

Share output 

MHM

No logs are populating with debug crypto isakmp enabled and pinging the remote end.