cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Client and DNS Settings

ethan-bonzer
Level 1
Level 1

For context, I'm the network admin for a school district with 1-to-1 laptops for students. We recently updated all of our student laptops from the Umbrella Roaming Client to the Secure Client with the Umbrella module installed. Once we started providing students with laptops for summer school with the new software installed, we've gotten reports of students having issues with "No Internet" appearing on their devices when connecting to the school's WiFi. After investigating, we confirmed that the devices were getting an IP address in the correct subnet and VLAN, but their PCs were being forced to use 127.0.0.1 for DNS, which was statically assigned on the adapter. These laptops have been freshly reimaged, so nobody would have gone in and manually set DNS for all 400 of these summer school devices. I can manually go through Control Panel and force Windows to auto-obtain a DNS server, but there are a few devices that have made their way back to me after it somehow self-resets to localhost DNS.

I've attempted to research this issue for the past week now, and seem to still be getting nowhere. The closest I've gotten to narrowing down this issue is through the following Cisco article: https://community.cisco.com/t5/web-security/cisco-anyconnect-umbrella-roaming-security-module/td-p/4838674

From my understanding, according to Cisco's own documentation, the adapter's DNS settings should only be affected if using the Umbrella Roaming Client. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case, as with the author of the article. Given there was no real solution in that article to solving the issue with this Cisco product forcibly resetting the DNS settings on the laptops, I wanted to reach out here to see if any other organizations have run into the same problem or have found any actual solutions to this. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Reply 1

ccieexpert
Level 1
Level 1

havent seen it except with roaming client... best to open a TAC case and get official support. they also have their internal database they can search to see if other customers ran into it..