Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Secondary Subnet with Remote Access to my Lab

Hey all.  I'll try to keep this brief and to the point while being detailed. 

I setup a CCIE home lab and I setup 4 Cisco 3560 switches as i'm going through some L2 labs.  My home network is pretty simple.  I have FIOS coming into our first floor and use their modem/WAP.  I have all of my equipment in the basement.  I have a Linksys AP running DD-WRT in the basement that is acting as a repeater for my WLAN, and all of my equipment goes into the ports on that AP. 

Out of no where, I started receiving duplicate IP messages on my computer and it was driving me nuts.  I narrowed it down to my switches.  When I unplugged the main copper from the Linksys AP in the basement, everything started working fine.

Rather than trying to figure out what is causing this issue, I think it'd be easier to segregate this from my regular /24 that i use throughout my house.  I just don't know how to go about doing this.  I never setup a DMZ or anything like that (nor am I opposed to it), but I'm just curious what is the best way to go about setting this up. 

With these switches I have a Dell T620 running VMware with 20 virtual routers.  It also has Windows Server 2k12 which has DuckDNS on it which is what I use to get me remote access.  My thought is to take this entire environment and segregate it from my regular network.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

-Michael

2 Replies 2

Hello Michael,

do you have a schematic drawing of your setup including your current IP addressing ? We need to get an idea what you want to separate from what...

Hey Georg.

I don't unfortunately, but hopefully I could describe it best as possible.

The FIOS feed coming into the first floor goes into their modem/WAP.  This has the 192.168.70.0/24 network for all of my home devices.  

Downstairs is all of my cisco gear.  I don't have a feed from Verizon down there so I took an old Linksys WAP and I set it up as a repeater bridge with my current SSID, thus, I could use the 4 ports on the back of it.  This Linksys WAP uses DD-WRT.

I figured I could segregate these ports and create a separate VLAN - 192.168.71.0/24.  I followed some tutorials on dd-wrt sites but it doesn't seem to work.  I'm thinking because maybe its set as a repeater?  I'm not sure.  

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

-Michael