cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site Tunnel Access Vendor print to Customer Printer tcp\9100

keithcclark71
Level 3
Level 3

What are the specifics necessary for Vendor Site to Site tunnel access to print to customer printer through the customer's  ASA.

For example VendorA 10.10.20.10 needs to send reports over Tcp\9100 through customer ASA to internal system 192.168.5.10 whish is a printer

VPN Is already confirmed established. NAT  is defined for the tunnel as follows

Inside Source Interface Inside 192.168.5.10 Destination Interface Any Vendor Destination 10.10.20.10 Service Any
Disable Proxy Arp  Lookup Route 

With the above NAT in place and Tunnel up what is necessary for Outside ACL & Inside ACL to allow Vendor 10.10.20.10 to initiate and send reports to Inside printer 192.168.5.10 over tcp\9100  

I want to ensure I am not adding unneeded entries to my ACL's. Since the VPN is established do you even need an ACL on the Outside interface stating source 10.10.20.10 192.168.5.10 TCP\9100

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

""I remember site to site tunnels usually being NAT Exempt. I don't recall ever where a S2S needed to be translated. I am now curious why one need this.""
L2L (S2S) not need NAT exempt except the case you have run NAT in interface you run crypto map under it. 

why we need NAT for S2S one case is overlapping in both side of VPN peers.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-firewalls/211275-Configuration-Example-of-ASA-VPN-with-Ov.html

View solution in original post

@keithcclark71 if you have a Dynamic NAT/PAT rule configured you'd likely need a NAT exemption rule to ensure the VPN traffic is not unintentially translated.

Run packet-tracer from the CLI to determine what NAT rules traffic matches.

Which side initiates the traffic, inside or outside?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi @keithcclark71 do you actually need NAT to translate traffic or a NAT exemption rule to ensure traffic is not unintentially translated?

Normally on the ASA VPN traffic usually bypasses the interface ACL, so all VPN traffic would be allowed. If you wish to restrict this traffic you may want to look at using a VPN Filter, to restrict just this traffic. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/pix-500-series-security-appliances/99103-pix-asa-vpn-filter.html

Hey Rob in older ASA ASDM it showed NAT Exempt but in latest ASDM that I am looking at on this particular ASA there is no longer NAT Exempt listings. I believe the screenshot shows NAT Exempt because source address says original and destination address says original ? Would that be accurate?

I remember site to site tunnels usually being NAT Exempt. I don't recall ever where a S2S needed to be translated. I am now curious why one need this. 

The below NAT is based upon established VPN where source address is accessed by destination addressed network objects. Therefore no Outside ACL entry necessary??? If I am restricting outbound traffic from the inside interface then would I need an ACL entry for the inside interface specifying an allow for the source address objects to access the destination objects or would I write that entry in reverse so that the destination address objects are specified as source on the inside interface and destination address object would be the source object? 

Ex:  Inside interface Source  Rhapsody_Test permit Destination QS1Test_GUI , Rosemary or should it be
Ex: Inside interface Source QS1Test_GUI , Rosemary permit  Destination  Rhapsody_Test

NAT-Exempt.jpg

""I remember site to site tunnels usually being NAT Exempt. I don't recall ever where a S2S needed to be translated. I am now curious why one need this.""
L2L (S2S) not need NAT exempt except the case you have run NAT in interface you run crypto map under it. 

why we need NAT for S2S one case is overlapping in both side of VPN peers.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-firewalls/211275-Configuration-Example-of-ASA-VPN-with-Ov.html

@keithcclark71 if you have a Dynamic NAT/PAT rule configured you'd likely need a NAT exemption rule to ensure the VPN traffic is not unintentially translated.

Run packet-tracer from the CLI to determine what NAT rules traffic matches.

Which side initiates the traffic, inside or outside?

for VPN the traffic is permit by default no need ACL if you run ASA FW. 
traffic allow from OUT-to-IN 
if you have ACL in INside with direction IN then you need ACL to allow traffic. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: