Views
Helpful
Replies

site-to-site VPN traffic blocking

Sihanu N
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

We had a site-to-site VPN from our main office to branch office via ASA 5505  and working perfectly with no issue. Currently we are facing some security issues from branch office to main office and the reverse traffic and decided to block the traffic generated from the brach office to main office.

1) Which is the feasible and scable solution to block the traffic generated from  branch office by keeping the traffic allowing all traffic from main office to branch office?

Any suggestions and advice regarding this is highly recommended.

Thanks & Regards,

Sihanu N

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Is your Main Office device an PIX or ASA?

If so, do you have many other VPN connections on the PIX/ASA? (IPsec VPN Client, AnyConnect SSL Client, L2L VPN or Hardware VPN Client)

If you provide the above information I can probably suggest something.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Thanks for the reply to my post.

Is your Main Office device an PIX or ASA? - At both locations cisco ASA 5505

If so, do you have many other VPN connections on the PIX/ASA? - only Two L2L VPN to branch offices. Also planning to implement Remote Access VPN with Radius Authentication in future

Thanks and Regards

Sihanu N

Hi,

I just discussed a similiar subject on another topic here on the forums.

In that thread I mentioned atleast 3 ways to control traffic/connections initiated from branch offices / remote users.

Here is that same text slightly modified

To control the traffic that comes in from a VPN connection to the Central Site, you can do atleast one of the following:

1. Deny  the traffic in question directly at the remote sites ASAs inside  interface access-list thats attached to the inside interface in  direction "in". This is the easiest way to do it.
  2. Use the "no  sysopt connection permit-vpn" at Central Office ASA (or abit different command format in older  software) to make it so that all VPN traffic coming to/through your Central Office ASAs  outside interface has to go trough the outside access-list rules. This  might be an easy solution IF you have only few VPN connections since  using this setting means you have to open holes to the outside access-list for  every connection taken from behind any VPN connection.
  3. Create a  VPN filter ACL that you will attach to the L2L VPN Connection on one of  the ASAs. L2L VPN filter list is abit different from the typical  interface access-list so I wouldnt suggest this as a first choice. It  also isnt as flexible as the 2 previous options.

I would say the easiest way is to control the traffic straight at the remote sites INSIDE interface access-list. Before the traffic can even reach the Central Site.

In some setups I have also used the Option 2. above. But as I said above this requires you to open all the traffic initiated from remote sites or remote users in your OUTSIDE interface access-list. So if you have existing VPNs you will have to know what connections they are taking and open those in the OUTSIDE access-list before issuing the command in Option 2.

The last option I mention is abit messy to do in the L2L VPN Connections as you have to use a single access-list to handle traffic in both directions. To top it of you might have to take into consideration your interface access-lists too. So this is not the best option.

If you need any clarification, please ask.

Please rate any usefull information

- Jouni