Views
Helpful
Replies

ssl vpn issue with rdp

ahmed.gadi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have configured ssl vpn on cisco asa5520 and tested working all well. I have configured rdp access to few servers and bookmark it so that users can directly click on it after connecting to ssl vpn. when i open rdp session to bookmarked servers, i get full screen option on top of screen, so that i can use rdp session in full screen mode. It works fine with some users and cannot see full screen option on few users. I checked the java version on all pcs are same.

can someone please let me know why i am facing this issue, i am preety sure its related to jave version but could not get any documentation on cisco website stated specifically to java version, it only says rdp plugin works with JRE1.4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808c0603.shtml#tshoot

Please let me know if someone need more info about asa ios, rdp plugin version , jre version etc.

Thanks & Regards

Ahmed...

4 Replies 4

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could it be that the working ones are actually using the ActiveX version of the plugin (e.g. because they are using IE and the non-working users are not, or activeX is disabled or something) ?

For the java plugin, there is an enhancement request that you can track :

CSCsi20282    WebVPN RDP Plug-in config parameter for full screen

As a possible workaround, you can add the "geometry" parameter to the RDP bookmark (and e.g. create multiple bookmarks for multiple resolutions):

rdp://1.1.1.1/?geometry=1024x768

hth

Herbert

Thanks it worked for m in Firefox with IE Tab add-on.

I am just curious about option use of  " smart-function to listen mstsc.exe ", can you please explain briefly how it works.

Thanks & Regards

Ahmed...

Hi Ahmed,

I suppose you are referring to the "smart tunnel" feature which allows you to transparently proxy all TCP/IP traffic from a certain application, over the SSL tunnel.

To read more:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/webvpn.html#wp1218044

In a nutshell, if you do not want to use the RDP plugin, you can use the native Microsoft RDP client (mstsc.exe) and configure a Smart Tunnel for it. This way, a special DLL will be injected in mstsc.exe which will cause all it's network traffic to be redirected over the tunnel.

hth

Herbert

which will cause all it's network traffic to be redirected over the tunnel.

AFAIK only TCP traffic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: