cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminating a VPN at a serial interface

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I had an exam queston yesterday on the 642-501 (Securing Cisco IOS Networks) that i am having difficulty with.

The queston went as follows:

Company A purchased Company B. They want to have a VN using IPsec. Router A is already configured. Router B has isakmp enabled, but needs the following configured: hash, encryption, authentication, diffie-hellman group.

THEN the question adds that the VPN "needs to terminate on the serial interface".

I would not think this to be a problem normally. I would simply create a crypto map in ipsec and then apply it to the serial interface.

But the question only asks for IKE values to be configured. I tried within the simulation to configure the crypto map, but it was not part of the supported commands in the simulation...

Is there a way to apply ANYTHING or TERMINATE anything on the serial interface based upon the ISAKMP values alone? What am I missing here??

thx as always

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I think they want you to configure the isakmp preshared key along with the serial interface address of the remote peer. I doubt if there is any other significance to that statement "terminate on the serial interface"

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I think they want you to configure the isakmp preshared key along with the serial interface address of the remote peer. I doubt if there is any other significance to that statement "terminate on the serial interface"

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yep. That's it! It makes sense now.

Thank You.