cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to enable virtual adapter

guru_ganesha
Level 1
Level 1

ASA error message: 16/ERROR: Unable to start VA, setup shared queue, or VA gave up on shared queue..

Win 7 x64 client says: "The VPN client driver encountered an error. Please restart your computer or device, then try again."

Client Event Log (AnyConnect): "The VPN client has sent the following close message to the gateway: Unable to start VA, setup shared queue, or VA gave up on shared queue."

ASA 5510 running latest 8.41(1) and ASDM 6.4(1). Client is latest 3.0.1047.

I've tried the fix catroot2 / delete catroot2 suggestions with no luck.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The issue was resolved by installing AnyConnect as a Local Admin and NOT a Domain Account added to the Local Admin group. Yes, that made a difference. Go figure...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

guru_ganesha
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to run the client with no problems on a fresh install of Win 7 x64 (no SP) on a different laptop model

The client failed with same error (unable to enable the virtual adapter) on a fresh install of Win 7 x64 with and without SP1.

Doing the suggested fix:

net stop cryptsvc

esentutl /p %systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb

gave me this error: Jett error -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied).

renaming to catroot2_old and rebooting didn't help.

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a00809b4754.shtml)

EDIT: The working client is running under Windows 7 x64 Professional, the non-working client is running under Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. Any clues as to why this could be?

The issue was resolved by installing AnyConnect as a Local Admin and NOT a Domain Account added to the Local Admin group. Yes, that made a difference. Go figure...