Views
Helpful
Replies

Unstable IPSEC tunnel between Fortigate 200D and ASA5506-X

Micccc4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

We are struggling with setting up a stable IPSEC tunnel between FWs mentioned in the subject. 

Tunnel itself is up all the time, allowing bidirectional communication to start with, but then, in random times, stops passing traffic while the tunnel is still showed as UP in Monitoring section in ASDM (also ping traffic is being generated constantly).

Logging out the tunnel and bringing it up again restores the 2-way flow immediately. 

We have verified all timers on bot sides and they are identical.

One thing I noticed is that in ASDM 'Monitoring' section for VPN Sessions:

- when traffic is passing through then the Protocol Encryption  column for that tunnel says IKEv2 IPSEC

- when traffic is not passing it says just IKEv2 (w/o IPSEC part)

Does it indicate any specific issue? any misconfig that we have missed in our verification?

I will soon provide configuration from both sides but first would like to clarify that Monitoring status. Thanks in advance

IPSEC Fortigate ASA Monitorign statu.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rekey is not done, ikev2 use rekey after tunnel is up and both peer use key, after specific time the rekey is need otherwise the traffic not pass.

Config pfs in both peer

config dh group for both phase1 and phase 2

above is recommend from the AWS, but still it make sense to test it for fortigate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rekey is not done, ikev2 use rekey after tunnel is up and both peer use key, after specific time the rekey is need otherwise the traffic not pass.

Config pfs in both peer

config dh group for both phase1 and phase 2

above is recommend from the AWS, but still it make sense to test it for fortigate

Micccc4
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for a quick response @MHM Cisco World - indeed PFS  was not enabled on cisco side. I did now ask to do the same on Fortigate peer. Will verify and report here if it fixed the problem. 

Hi again! I am happy to inform that enabling PFS solved the stability issue - it has been stable for the last 24 hours. Thanks again @MHM Cisco World