Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Flash in 827-4V?

I recently purchased an 8MB Mini-Flash card to upgrade an 827-4V router from its on-board 8MB to 16MB. I installed the Mini-Flash module and it doesn't seem to be recognised by the router. If I type show ver or show flash I get:

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

I have had a quick look around CCO but can't seem to see anything?

Andy

11 Replies 11

Hello Andy,

I remember that, according to CCO, ´the Cisco 827 routers use 4 MB of Flash memory for storing internal information such as the ROM monitor. Only the remainder of the Flash memory is available for storing Cisco IOS images and is displayed by using the command show flash. For example, if the router reports 8 MB of Flash, the actual amount of onboard Flash memory is 12 MB, even though only 8 MB are displayed and available for Cisco IOS image storage´.

That still would need to show you 12MB of flash then, instead of 8...

What do you see when you do a ´show version´ ?

Regards,

GP

With or withough the Mini-Flash card installed it says:

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

I did a little more research on CCO and it seems there is conflicting information - some states the 827-4V can have a maximum of 12MB - 8MB on-board flash and a 4MB Mini-Flash card. Other information states it can have 16MB - 8MB on-board and 8MB Mini-Flash card?

It looks like the 12MB info is correct, does anyone know?

Thanks

Andy

Hello Andy,

to add to the confusion, the product bulletin below talks about flash memory changes on the 827-4V effective July 3, 2003, where the default flash equals the max flash equals 12MB...

Cisco 800 Series Routers

DRAM and Flash Memory Increases in Cisco 827-4V Routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_bulletin09186a008019d9fd.html

GP

Has anyone upgraded the Flash in a 800-series router to 16MB? In the April 2003 product guide it specifically states that the 827-4V has 8MB by default and 16MB max, there is even a part number for the 8MB Flash mini-card (MEM800-8F). I don't really want to open a TAC case just to find the information out?

Thanks

Andrew,

I have ran into the same problem. I want to upgrade my personal 827-4v and have tried two different 8 meg flash cards. It still says 8 /2 for the flash. ONLY if the unit is less than 1 year old have I heard that you can go to the 16 meg card. however you will not see more than 12 megs total. so kind of a waste to spend for the 16. If you find out how to get the upgrade to take please let me know @ pentreed@gamil.com

Steve

I have actually just opened a TAC case regarding this as the info on CCO states it should work:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_installation_guide09186a00800aff5f.html

There is no mention of 'older' 827-4V routers only accepting the 4MB Mini-FLASH card. I think you may be correct however, but it would be nice to have a definative answer.

Andy

Andy,

Please let me know what you find out. This router I have for my personal use and have not had it on a service contract. I currently have an 8 meg flash card in the unit. I have tried 4 meg, and two different 8 meg flash cards with NO luck or change in the display. I even tried to force the issue and tried to load a 12.4 image. No go. I am currently running 12.2.11r.yv4 rmon image, and 12.2.15.t17 ios.

Let me know what you find.

regards,

Steve

Steve

I didn't really get anywhere with the TAC case but I have resolved the issue anyway...

I didn't realise this but there are 2 types of Mini-FLASH modules available; ones that operates at 3V and ones that operate at 5V (there are some that support both voltages as well). The 1720/1750 support 5V modules where as the 82x-series require 3V ones.

The 8MB Mini-FLASH module I had was 5V so was obviously meant for a 1720/1750. I managed to get hold of 20 4MB Mini-FLASH modules off eBay for about £10 (UK) and fortunatley one of these was 3V/5V. I put this in and the router now says:

12288K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

The problem I have hit now is I don't have enough DRAM for a 12.3T image (SIP username support)..... I need 48MB and I have 32MB.

If anyone in the UK needs 4MB Mini-FLASH modules for 1720/1750 routers let me know.......

HTH

Andy

Andy,

THANKS FOR THE INFO. Why Cisco does not chat about this makes you wounder if they have not become the new MS. Anyway, if you run across a second flash that will work could you help a yank out and let me know what you would charge and I could do a paypal to you if you would mail it. I am not in a great big hurry other that like you said you need to do sip support. I need to do AES. I have the ram but not the flash. drop a line at Pentreed@gmail.com

regards,

Steve

Steve

I think I was lucky just to get the 1 out of 20..... I will keep my eyes open and if I find any I'll let you know.

Andy

Thanks!!!

Steve