cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use Cisco 1841 to VPN into Windows Server?

Thomas Beaver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am resorting to posting on here because every google search for the past week leads me to nothing but how to set up the Cisco router as a VPN server.  This isnt what I want.

I have a client who has a Windows Server in a colocation data center.  The customer has to setup a VPN connection on each of the desktops and laptops that need to connect which is becoming a nightmare for usability.  Would it be possible to drop in a Cisco 1841 and use that to “site-to-site” VPN into the Windows Server. No hardware firewall or Cisco box is on the other end. 

The server/clients are currently using PPTP but I would most likely end up reconfiguring the server with L2TP or any other more secure protocol that the server and Cisco device support.

Thanks for the help!

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best is that you place a small router where the server is. This way you have no limitation in doing any VPN type you want.

Unfortunately this isnt an option due to the setup.  The servers are virtual and the extra rack space would add quite a bit to the monthly bill.  I was pretty sure this would work, but didnt want to try without hearing from someone who has attempted it.

Has anyone done this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: