cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vista RTM VPN Client

nimanranch
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I'm new to the NetPro community.

I have an ASA5505 at my main office that I'm trying to connect to from home, where I'm running Vista RTM (Technet just released it a few days ago).

I've installed the latest VPN client beta for Vista, vpnclient-win-msi-4.8.01.0590-k9 on Vista RTM.

My problem is when I go to connect to the ASA, the client stalls at :Contacting the security gateway," and will never sucessfully connect.

I have the Vista firewall off, Defender, etc. I've done as much research as I could on it, and there isn't much out there.

Has anyone experienced this issue, know of a workaround, or am I going to have to wait until Cisco releases the final version?

TIA

7 Replies 7

mlew
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue here..

Seems like they released a new client yesterday, at least according to the date stamp on it.

However, it still doesn't work.

mwwalker57
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the exact same problem. Vista RTM, client 4.8.01.0590. I was able to connect on first boot, but not on subsequent boots. I have tried restarting Both Cisco and IKE services with no success. I get "Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter". The "Diagnose" function on the Cisco VPN adapter shows all is in order. Any suggestions? Thanks!

nickham
Level 1
Level 1

We have exactly the same situation, but this behaviour is happening also to Windows XP clients also.

A temporary solution... I have found that a "Repair" install (right click on .MSI, repair) allows me to connect with out uninstall > reboot. Not much of a permanent solution, but it works for now. I have a feeling we are going to have to wait for the next revision for a stable client.

valkyrie75
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem. I would love to know how Cisco can fail to have a working version of their VPN Client for an OS that has been in developement for 5 years and is now on release to business users (which is why we are using it (i.e. its not the RTM version but the release version for enterprise customers) Give that Cisco write the IP stack for Microsoft, what is the delay in a working version.... A very discruntled IT Manager.

I had the same issue. Once I unistalled McAfee my VPN started working