cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3.6.1 on Win98 cannot browse network

kmorris
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed the VPN client ver. 3.6.1 on a Win98 laptop. I'm unable to browse the network or ping anything by IP address or DNS name once connected. File & Print sharing and Client for MS Networks are installed. The client connects without error to the concentrator, so I don't think the software itself is the issue. I've also installed the client on Win2k and XP without a problem. Please help. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

p.krane
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Kendra,

You seem to have a similar query posted on the 25th. Was this problem solved or narrowed down to the problem described in your post on the 25th, i.e. release of IP information while switching between the modem and ethernet adapters? We are facing a similar problem. Please could you share if your problem is resolved now?

Hello Pam,

Unfortunately the issue hasn't been resolved, but I did find a work around. The problem happens when switching between a network LAN and dial-up (not when switching b/w a broadband connection and dial-up). You have to release the adapter information thru DOS in order to switch. Otherwise you can't browse network resources. Windows 98 also has a handy tool...winipcfg.exe...located in the C:\Windows directory. This tool provides a DOS interface that lets you release the adapter information for both the ethernet and dial-up adapters. Hope this helps.