cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 4.0.5 Client fails to connect

pglevelle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new Dell laptop with XP home and SP2 installed. Using latest Cisco 4.0.5 client I am unable to IPSec connect to a Cisco PIX firewall. However, with same client installed on another PC with XP Pro/SP2 on home LAN the connection works as expected. Same good connect results with yet another Win2K PC as well. Wierd problem. Don't see how the local router is an issue since connections work on the other 2 desktops. I have disabled the firewall and tried both the wired and wireless lan connections with the same "reason 403" message.

I've done a google search and see that many others have run into this issue. I read/tried many of their suggestions but no solution.

Any ideas from the experts??? This is my first experience with XP home...is this the issue?

Phil

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Phil,

So are you getting a username/prompt atleast when you try to connect using the VPN client ? It doesnt look like an XP-SP2 issue because its working on another machine with XP-SP2. Try a reboot of the box and see if that helps. Delete your profiles, and uninstall the software and see if that helps. You also have the option of uninstalling SP2 and revert back to SP1 and then see if the VPN client software does work as expected.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

rchay
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure the Group Authentication name and password is capitalized appropriately. I had the same problem and this worked.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Have you enabled maximum logging level on the client?

What does it say exactly?

I've met big trouble with XP SP2 making the Cisco VPN client unable to read Microsoft certificates - fixed in the latest 4.6.00045 client.

Regards,

Milan