cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN AAA authentication issue (reason = Unspecified : user = *****)

jm
Level 1
Level 1

Running an ASA 5512, software version 9.5, with VPN set up using AAA authentication against a local Active Directory server.  The vast majority of users are able to authenticate and connect to the VPN with no issue, but some accounts (up to 3 now) provide the following when connecting:

SSL session with client outside:$USER_IP/43674 to VPN_EXTERNAL_IP/443 terminated
AAA user authentication Rejected : reason = Unspecified : server = $ACTIVE_DIRECTORY_IP : user = ***** : user IP = $USER_IP
Device completed SSL handshake with client outside:$USER_IP\43674 to VPN_EXTERNAL_IP/443 for TLSv1.2 session

To be clear, I did not ***** out the user name, that is what comes up in logs, as opposed to the username which comes up in case of an incorrect password such as:

AAA user authentication Rejected : reason = Invalid password : server = $ACTIVE_DIRECTORY_IP : user = jm : user IP = $USER_IP

The passwords are verified as correct as they can authenticate to active directory with no problems, they are not expired, and the accounts are not suspended.  If I create a new account for them, that account can connect with no problem.  This account in particular has been working up until yesterday from a user across the country, so it has definitely been in use previously.  The moment I have them use the new account, they are able to connect, eliminating anything on their end.

I'd rather not have an AD server full of users and re-created User_VPN accounts, so finding a fix for this would be ideal.  Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you got multiple AD servers configured to authenticate against?  If so, test against each AD server individually.

My bet - AD replication issues.

Another thing to try - reset the users password.  Maybe a password reset will sync things back up again.

Thanks for the input! The first time this occurred, I had actually guessed the password had expired for the user when they called saying they could not connect, so I changed it at first blush.  When that didn't fix it, that's when I did the log digging and found this error.  Over time, I've found the account works again but there's no set interval that seems to make a difference, so finding what it is tied to has been an exercise in frustration.  In addition, when I see it now, I do a net user <USERNAME> /domain to verify password expirations.

Currently, the ASA is configured with 2 AD servers, PDC and secondary, and the password authenticates against both.  However, I will pop a repadmin /showrepl next time it comes up to see if maybe that has happened.  As it is an intermittent issue, my most favorite type, I can't be sure if potentially it had failed at the time.  

AllertGen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, .

Just to be sure: does usernames has non-english characters at the username? And if it's an AnyConnect/Web Authentication I would check at the user side how they type they username and password data. It could be a keyboard encoding problems (just for example you can look at the Japan layout).

Best Regards.

Thanks for the reply, but no go.  All standard English characters with no exception there, typed on standard American Dell laptops. 

Bogdan Shavlo
Level 1
Level 1

You need to check security permissions for user in AD which you use in realm configuration. 

Here are details on pictures.

You need to change OU advanced security properties from:
1.png

BeforeBefore

To this (click Restore defaults):AfterAfter