cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and NAT on a stick

ddsolar24
Level 1
Level 1

How to secure remote access to home appliances that were designed for LAN only ? Unfortunately, most residential clients have a consumer ISP's proprietary  box, often with a dynamic public address only. Anyways, the TCP port of an appliance cannot be left wide open waiting for hackers.

I want to use a 1721 (or any better IOS router) to provide VPN remote access behind their NAT box (and do the ADSL/routing parts when there is no consumer box). Will it need a second ethernet interface to connect to the appliance, or can the VPN access be done on a stick with a small unmanaged switch, just using a loopback interface and a secondary ethernet address on fastethernet0 ? Only authenticated access to a single LAN address is really needed, strong  encryption is overkill. Thanks for all config hints.

5 Replies 5

ddsolar24
Level 1
Level 1

s/secondary ethernet address/secondary ip address/

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Emmanuel,

Could you attach a topology of what you are trying to achieve? Still not sure i understood your requirement.

Regards,

Prapanch

Hi Prapanch,

I was trying to achieve this topology

but it may be too far-fetched, and I found acceptable to disable NAT on the ISP's box (it can be used as a DHCP server offering a single public address, and still retains its VoIP functions through another ATM VC) then do NAT and VPN on the Cisco, at the price of an additional WIC-1ENET. Here is the new topology:

Using a secondary address on the LAN interface, only the traffic from the CAN bus adapter is routed to a static Virtual Tunnel Interface. The last problem was the left router only gets a dynamic address then the static VTI was broken after each address change. I fixed it with EEM on the right router:

event manager applet Refresh_DynDNS

event timer cron name Refresh_DynDNS cron-entry "*/5 * * * *"

action 1 cli command "enable"

action 2 cli command "configure terminal"

action 3 cli command "interface Tunnel 0"

action 4 cli command "tunnel destination peer.dyndns.host.name"

Glad to know you managed to get it working. Thanks for haring the information as well. Will certainly help in case someone else is looking for a similar deployment.

Regards,

Prapanch

New problem: the tunnel goes down after the destination being refreshed with an outdated adddress without DNS lookup, despite the peer has had enough time to update the dyndns servers. A ping in exec mode is successful, so forcing lookup seems to fix it:

event manager applet Refresh_DynDNS

event timer cron name Refresh_DynDNS cron-entry "*/5 * * * *"

action 1 cli command "enable"

action 2 cli command "configure terminal"

action 3 cli command "interface Tunnel 0"

action 4 cli command "do ping peer.dyndns.host.name"

action 5 cli command "tunnel destination peer.dyndns.host.name"